New Orleans and all that jazz. Seriously it's about Red Drum, etc

• Wel l, not just Louisiana but Florida as well. frustratingly, having copied this from a report I wrote for our club's Facebook page, this editor is doing 'strange things' with the text - leaving out sentence and paragraph breaks and inserting odd words. I do hope it does not detract too much from the content of the report. Now as well it, having loaded one image, starts coming up with this error message -

An unknown error occured falling on upload. - as I try to post additional images. ? Does anyone have any idea what's going wrong

in recent years, When holidaying in the 'States, I've always tried to visit multiple venues to target different species; Usually just the two but this one, a tad more ambitious, FOUR Having racked up loads of air miles with Delta I! tend to stick with them With Their trans-Atlantic hubs in New York and Atlanta (Georgia). HOWEVER theyhave recently Entered into a co-share arrangement and, rather than flying via One Of Those hubs, we flew direct to Miami with Virgin Atlantic. It's marginally more expensive but obviously quicker and much more convenient. And then there what the early evening drive, up I-95, where we'd booked to Dania Beach into the Hilton. way 'part one' of our trip - Peter Gurd, Charles Reaves and I - had been to target Snakehead (at Introduced Asian species) in the waterways around Fort Lauderdale with a friend, Elliott Stark. (I'm sure some of you will remember Elliott - then working for the Billfish Foundation (TBF) -. Who delivered a presentation at the club's AGM in January 2013) Unfortunately though Elliott, who's currently in between jobs, had to, at short notice, to attend interview in California. A shame Because that's a species none of us had added anonymously caught. still what's at Dania Beach? Well apart from the IGFA headquarters' there's a rather large BassPro store and, of course, Charles enjoys just a modicum of retail therapy. Back to the IGFA though. Here there was a chance to meet up and 'chew over the fat' with Jack Vitek - Their World Records Coordinator - Briefly and meet Their President Rob Kramer. Both were impressed with the club's journal, a copy End of month we passed across For their library. Interestingly, talking to Jack, we were able to fully understand why Dave Huckle's potential record claim for a Guinean Barracuda had been rejected. Whilst in Itself the leader Dave had used conformed, and what several inches short of the maximum, he Had not taken into account the length of the lure and the rule CLEARLY states did the overall 'leader length' is Measured from the swivel connecting the leader to the line to the bend of the hook load. Any rate we then Took the opportunity to visit Gail Morchower, the organization's Museum and Library Manager, to deliver a copy of our Journal and to, for Charles and I, once again to view some wonderful archived photographs from Bill Carpenter's - the IGFA's first President - expeditions from the '40s and '50s. (If you ever visit they're keep in a separate air-condition room.) We went on to explain how we Intended to develop the Club's Journal and Gail willingly gave us permission - with a suitable credit - to use Those images and some impressive others - including ones of Ken Fraser's 1496lb Bluefin - chapters in subsequent offer offer (So, as well as images of Bluefin and Broadbill, I've so got images of Alf Dean's 2664lb Great White So from Dania Beach it then what the 130 odd miles down to Marathon in the Middle 'Keys with just a slight detour in Miami - the dulcet tones of the ladies on Charles'. GPS and Garmin units frustratingly giving conflicting advice But, of course, there's - surprise, surprise - another BassPro store in Islamorada as a stop for lunch and yet some more retail therapy Disappointingly the 'eat as much as you can' seafood restaurant and Braza Lena's that adjoin eachother at Whale Harbour (ocean-side) Both are temporarily closed - until mid-April - due to smoke . damage (Although Islamorada's some 35 miles North of Marathon Braza Lena's - a Brazilian 'meat' restaurant - http://www.brazalena.com/ - is somewhere I always like to visit, Especially for its superb cold salad (starter) table and top Sirlon and Flank steaks They're loads of other cuts but they're my personal favorites) Finally then, mid-afternoon on the Tuesday - .. having landed in Florida on the Sunday early evening - we arrived at our accommodation for the next few days, Tranquility Bay -. http://www.tranquilitybay.com/ It's not cheap but, if There're a group of four of you, you june find it no more expensive to stay here in a three bed-roomed . cottage than two rooms at a reasonable quality 3 * hotel.Anyway, the fishing Our first day on Which offshore Jeff Rella's 31 'SeaVee, powered by twin 300 outboards, targeting a wreck - Atlantic-side - 180' of water coupled with some . slow trolling for King Mackerel and livebaits of Wahoo (Http :/ / http://www.marathonoffshorefishing.com/) There was limited current flow over the wreck making for slow drifts but we had some decent Jack Crevalles - fish around 12 to 15lbs - 11lb Mutton Snapper and on, on live pinfish, with others - unknown species - finding the structure So We drifted with a live Blue Runner as a surface bait and Peter had a 70lb Hammerhead What an aggressive strike Charles HOWEVER persevered, using Amberjack roe..! on this bottom bait, and caught a species I'd never seen before, a number of Beeline Snappers.Unfortunately - with not enough cold fronts to push them down - the Sailfish were quiet holding to the North, up around Stuart, HOWEVER the slow trolling with Blue Runner livebaits produced results, but not the Kings and wahoo we were expecting, just decent Barracuda to 25lbs Although we hooked Kings we contrived to lose them all -. hook holds failing, wire leaders chopped and, on one occasion When Peter what attached to a real 'smoker' a cut-off by another fish C'est la vie Our next two days in Marathon had meant to be spent Flats fishing -. Fisicaro with Paul (http://www.stripstrikecharters.com/) and Mike Kozma - but, unfortunately, water temperatures applications applications were really low, down in the mid-60s, with the Permit quietly holding in the deeper water (Mike Kozma normally charters out of the Lorelei in Islamorada marina, but ranges from Marathon up to. Biscayne Bay. He's currently Developing his web site but you can, if you wish, contact him by e-mail at kozmacharters@gmail.com. A knowledgeable guide, and someone, Paul, I would thoroughly recommend like.) Given Those adverse conditions our first day, one of persistent rain, Which spent ocean-side casting around inshore structure and the mangroves We took a range of different species -. Mainly Jacks and Snappers, plus a small Gag Grouper - but skip casting a shrimp under the mangroves I managed a decent Red Drum of 8lbs. Amazing just how theywill hold right back under did tangle of foliage in seeking shallow water. (Just a suggestion here, .. Casting accuracy is paramount're not striving for distance education and you really do need to position the bait within inches of the rod tip The bait then follows the precise direction your tip ends up pointing AT.) On the second day, with much better conditions, We took the skiffs in between 17 and 20 miles offshore to fish a couple of shallow water wrecks in the Gulf of Mexico Lots of fish -. Spanish Mackerel, Blue Fish and a selection of Jacks and Snappers - almost a fish a chuck, but theywere in the main small and, I have to say, after a while it Became slightly boring We did, at the second wreck, HOWEVER have a chance, fly casting, at a small pod of five Cobia -. They really do look like Sharks in the water - but unfortunately no interest.Then it what the drive North to Miami where, on the Saturday, we were planning to target the (Butterfly) Peacock Bass in its extensive canal system. Peacock Bass? Surely they're a South American species? Yes, they are. But the explosive growth of givenName exotics into the canals - released from aquaria - particularly Spotted Tilapia and Oscars, and Their detrimental effect on native species, the Authorities DECIDED in 1984 to introduce Peacock Bass to predate on them And it's Proved to be a real success story, coupled With Their intolerance to 'cold. 'water - less than the mid-60s -. Which Prevents Their advance much Further North (You might find synthesis Links of interest - http://www.urbanfishingshow.co…acock-Bass-Miami-Invaders / and http://www.floridasportsman.com/2013/12/16/ features_peacock_bass_1008 /.)

• Part 2 - the original was apparently too long. Whilst our charter Which Organised through Alan Zaremba of http://www.floridapeacocks.com/welcome.html we did not fish with Alan himself, he'd left Miami at 6am did very morning for a guided trip to the Amazon, we got to fish with one of his friends, Drew Gregg, a great gentleman, and very knowledgeable. And our launch site? . At the Blue Lagoon, literally a few blocks off one of Miami's main thoroughfare, Le Jeune Road, did runs passed the international airport But the next 8 hours Took us all through the complex of canals in South West at speed - they're excavated from limestone, as not issues with erosion - targeting structure, the Peacocks are ambush predators, and shaded areas under bridges A lot of the time, and there were three of us on his boat, he would be using his electric trolling motor to enable us to cover area in. We caught numbers of them and They Were Although big -. up to 3lbs or so - it was great fun (Looking at Alan's site you'll see that, Although they're not the Brazilian 'monsters', They Do Regularly catch specimens in the 8 to 10lb range.) Charles started off with a couple on weighted Clouser pattens and, Although we were getting follows on lures, For it They Go live and dead minnows did produced most strikes. Really enjoyable twitching a Deadbait sink back 'n' draw and seeing a Peacock rocket out of a weed bed to engulf it. One as well that we spotted what, I imagine, close to building a nest and spawning and fiercely guarded the site. I threw a Deadbait at it and it just sidled up and blew it away., Peter then put a bait there and, as it Approached it, just twitched it. indeed resulted in a explosive strike. Certainly if you ever have a day to 'kill' in Miami it's something i could recommend.I almost forgot to mention but my first fish was a strange creature - elongated and brown with spots - a Florida Gar with some nasty teeth holding it in the water Drew gave it a healthy whack across the skull with a wooden bat prior to us bringing it. onboard but, with me holding it for the photograph, it flipped back into water No photograph Any rate did what the Florida element of our trip, Concluding with a visit to my favorite Cuban restaurant on Le Jeune, the Catch of the Day -. http :/ / http://www.catchofthedayrestaurant.com/. There's always a great atmosphere here with, in the evening, live music, try and sit outside though.On the Sunday we flew to New Orleans via Atlanta, and you go through a time zone change - from Eastern Standard to Central Do not, if you 're tempted, ever Consider driving to Minimise costs though're looking at, excluding stops, well over 12 hours driving, some 860 odd miles in New Orleans we stayed in one .. - La Quinta Inn - Numerous of the hotels in the French Quarter and, having arrived by early afternoon, set off to explore the famous Bourbon Street in order ... like many Of Those iconic tourist streets it's now full of bars, restaurants,. shops and strip joints tacky poison - all touting for business - and, of course, tourists Such a shame Still we did get to sit down in a small park-like setting to listen to some jazz and sample a traditional Mint Julip.But!. ? the fishing Here we spent three days fishing the somewhat desolate marshlands, some 30 miles South of the city out of Homedale, with Greg Dini and another guide, Miles, store Their skiffs (This is Greg's web site - http://www flywaterexpeditions. . com /) This extensive area really is a world class fishery for Red Drum There's very little angling pressure - .. whilst we were fishing we did not spot any other anglers at all - and it's coupled with a complete ban on commercial fishing for Their season runs them here from January through to the end of March When water temperatures applications applications applications are holding in the mid-50s -. ideal For Those bull Drum.Each morning the guides would pick us up at the hotel at 6:30 - They live in the city -. before traveling down to Homedale stopping, en route, for breakfast and to pick up a lunchtime sandwich We would then launch soon after 8 and return to the ramp around 4:30, getting back to the city a bit before 6: 15 - very much a full on day.Although, with overcast conditions, our first two days were spent Largely blind casting on the 2 to 4 'deep flats, we did have the opportunities to cast at one tailing fish and several cruisers Given. the wind and lack of visibility casting spoons and soft lures more effective Proved did using flowing. And, to give you an indication of the quality of the fishing, did on first day I released seven up to 23lbs, two Albut End of month were 20lb plus The 'small' fish went 17 and 18LBS On the next day I had the large large large largest fish of the trip, a 27 pounder, and Peter and I had a 'double' -.! a 25 pounder his and mine a mere 20 on the nose. Whilst They june not have the speed of Bonefish They are immensely powerful, as strong as equivalent to Jack, and play 'dirty' When close to the skiff diving under the hull.On our last day the light lifted giving reasonable sight fishing opportunities. Amazing just how close you can get to Those unpressured fish. Whilst And Charles and I did with the strong breeze to get opportunity to cast a fly Peter, fishing as a singleton, had a letter window of opportunity and, after several fluffed casts, managed to get a fly in front of a 30lb plus fish Unfortunately it did not eat Our guides though, Whilst Equally adept at light tackle spin fishing -. 's excellent tackle, Shimano Stradics and sustain - are, as a matter of preference, 'fluff chuckers'. The best one taken on Greg's skiff on fly was a 44 pounder, and a month ago he Took a 33 pounder for a lady angler. Latter That fish is being Claimed as a potential 16lb tippet class World record.In addition to the Redfish we spotted several THEREFORE, large Black Drum and Sheepshead some - .. locally known as Marsh Permit Both are notoriously difficult to take on fly or artificial and respond better to bait Miles Mentioned so thatthey can encounter Alligator Gar falling on the Summer months, fish up to three figures; Although he has had 40 pounders on the fly Curious , as I suspect Although Relatively low in salinity, we were fishing in the salt.As well as the area we fished our guides ie, in between September and the end. of December, base Themselves in Venice about a two hour drive South of New Orleans where, as well as targeting Those big Red Drum, they run the skiffs out into the Gulf to fish behind the shrimp boats for the mixed schools of Little Tunny and Blackfin . Tuna on the fly (I've, in the past, did down at Key West fished like this, Really exciting fishing.) So Greg can arrange offshore boats did run out to the near-shore oil and gas platforms wherethey speed jig - for species like Amber Jacks and Snapper and Yellowfin Tuna BIG The best YFT They had load-year was a 150 pounder So, all in all, an enjoyable trip and I have to say, I'll certainly return to Louisiana - .. what is very much to under-stated, little publicized world class fishery.So, the tourist bit Certainly Bourbon Street was a disappointment, but our one and only tram ride - a dollar and a quarter, irrespective of distance - what fun There are masses . of excellent restaurants to eat at, Especially to sample the unique French / Creole cooking style. (You must try the gumbo.) And They Are not all located in the French Quarter, try looking in the Equally convenient Garden and Warehouse District. Two did we particularly enjoyed were the Redfish Grill on Bourbon and Delmonico's in the Garden District; Although the service at The Latter what really OTT (It Certainly Charles cranked up When our water glasses were Replaced part way through the meal Quizzed When the embarrassed waiter Could .. only proffer the suggestion did what it stale. Launched To ... that Charles into his next tirade!) But of course New Orleans is first and foremost associated with jazz, and when to to to we asked our guides where the locals went we were told in no uncertain terms to avoid Bourbon Street. Frenchman's Street, a short 10 minute taxi ride is THE place to go And, Although after three days intensive fishing we were tired, it Certainly Fulfilled our expectations Most of the clubs to charge entry fee. based on the Particular group playing, When Their late evening - Usually 10pm - sets begin It's obviously difficult to make recommendations but, on the evening, the two we visited -. Snug Harbor and DBA - playing Modern and Traditional respectively were excellent, a great atmosphere.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Apologies, the editor really does seem to have made elements of my original text virtually un-intelligible! Could I suggest, if it's of interest, there's the original report on this Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/#!/pa…s/116133465115464?fref=ts. You'll find it, dated 14th February, on the left hand side under 'posts by others'. There's also one image of a 'double header' of Red Drum, a 20 and 25 pounder, we caught in the Louisiana marshlands.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com