Swiss Referendum - Sunday 7th March - proposed Animal Rights Legislation. What about its potential impact on YOU?

• Given the democratic processes within Switzerland I understand that a national referendum on any topic - do you remember the ban on Minarets - can be enacted providing it is supported, initially, by 100,000 voters.

And here's the latest .... read on - http://www.guardian.co.uk/worl…awyer-who-defends-animals. So with 100,000 Swiss voters supporting it it patently isn't something, as some of us within the angling community might wish to portray it as ..... yet another money-spinner for lawyers..

What if it's successful? And what are its potential consequences on other nation states? Or possibly more worryingly what happens if one of our 'representatives' in the European Parliament determines to have the matter debated?

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Hi Dave,

first I have to say that Mr. G. is not a unknown name in the fishing communities of the german-spoken countries. Some weeks ago he brought an angler before the court. The cause was, that the angler caught a pike of 22 pounds and had a thin line on his reel. So (of course) he had to fight the fish tired before he took the fish for eating.

Well, Mr. G said that the fact that the angler fought the fish some minutes is crulety to animals. Well, I think this example shows us the level of Mr. G.

But I think he is very sent in using the strange law of the Swizerland. Let us hope that he will fail. The danger is, that this man goads on more than 100.000 people who don´t want to think theirself.........

A shame!

Thanks for this new information,

Uwe

• Dave, relax, CH is not EU member...
    effects of the petition cannot reach Brussels.
    Relax
    8| 8o

:sehrgut:

I guess I was more concerned Jan that a 'YES' vote might have given what could be perceived as giving a figment of legitimacy to the 'madcap' animal rights activists, and of course to Antoine Goetschel, the lawyer, who seems to have developed a 'nice little earner' in Zurich 'representing' anything up to 200 animals (and now fish) a year. (And this is in a country which already has, nationally, some of the strictest rules governing the treatment of pets and farm animals.) With a 'YES' those animal rights activists could then potentially, supported by our so-called representatives within the European Parliment, have pushed for similar legislation within the EU. And remember 'Lisbon' introduced qualified majority voting into a number of legislative areas. Still no need to worry 70.5% of the Swiss who voted nationally REJECTED the proposal. I wonder what the voting proportions in the Zurich canton actually were this time round?

Here's the latest Guardian article on the result - http://www.guardian.co.uk/worl…d-animal-lawyers-rejected.

Perhaps us Brits had it right at the beginning of the 19th Century during the Napoleonic Wars? http://www.thisishartlepool.co…y/thehartlepoolmonkey.asp Whoops! Sorry, a bit Tongue in Cheek that one, and a way to upset people who come from West Hartlepool in the North East.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com