Azores, Sao Miguel

• Um ... I suspect I'm having a 'senior moment' - sorry, forgetfulness. Some weeks ago I recall reading something regarding BIG Blue Marlin, Bluefin Tuna and Yellowfin being taken off the island of Sao Miguel. But now I can't find it!

Most of the game fishing activity in the archipelago 'normally' takes place in Horta on the island of Faial, and Sao Miguel is several hundred miles to the East. I've tried looking at, for instance, Ian Carter's web site and those for Olaf and Zak Conde, and even Double Header but no trace, no reference .... NADA.

Do any of the forum members have any information about what happened in Sao Miguel this season? And whether the boats were based there, or visiting boats?

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Hello Dave,

the S.Miguel-charter-boats are based in Ponta Delgada. The busiest of them are „Alabote“, „Galaxia“ and „Shanghai“. It's about 12nm out to the „Mar da Prata“ - bank where the main fishing activities are concentrated to. At the east end of the island you can find very productive waters too - about 35 nm from Ponta Delgada - called „Baixo do Meio“. But the „ultimate“ experience of fishing around S. Miguel can be found at „Jõao Castro“ bank. 44nm from S. Miguel and around 60nm off Ponta Delgada:

„...this shallow water bank is localised by the co-ordinates 38º14'N and 26º38'W. The submarine apparatus is basically made of pillow lavas with roots at 1500m deepth and with the top made of basaltic hyaloclastitus. The crater, slightly elliptic, measures close to 300 meters diameter and is
    bordered by an arc, which is round or acute in some parts.“

Every BigGamer will get his own ideas about a bank reaching up to 20m to the surface from the depth of 1.500-2.000m.

I don't know this years numbers. When I was out to catch them I was disappointed in June and July. August and September have been spectacular. Nearly every time out I got in „contact“. In September big numbers of tuna came close to the coast. I caught a blue monster as close to the island like never before.

I enjoyed my short season 2009! I don't have experience on other azorean spots. I'm living on São Miguel. I heard, that it's easier to get bluefin at the central group (Faial). And I see, that at Horta they know much better to make money with the boats! Next season I'll spend some days with mine there, finding out about the differences of fishing...

Anyone out there to join me?

>http://www.biggameazores.com.pt< is informing about the activities of the Clube Naval Ponta Delgada. Unfortunately someone is trying to maintain this page. Maybe the nice pictures, that could be seen there will come back....

Tight lines and all the best for 2010!

Peter

• Thanks Peter. So that's where the Shanghai is based now. Are there any charterboats on any of the other islands?

The Azores is probably the place on earth I would most like to visit. Not just because of the fishing but also because I have a number of friends in Horta. I'll have to pass through Sao Miguel on my way there. Maybe we could get in touch while I'm there.

Best regards
    patudo

• Dieses Thema enthält 10 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com