Funny Fishing

• Hi Uwe
    Looking at that footage off Florida - where the fish takes the bait out of the lady's hand - I suspect it's taken from Robbies boatyard, just south of Islamorada, Gulf-side. The Tarpon and Jacks are very used to being fed there and you buy a bucket of bait for 2$US.

I can remember on one occasion a friend of mine was holding sardines by the tail and literally dropping them into the mouths of 100lb plus Tarpon. Unfortunately it also attracts vast numbers of Pelicans and one, obviously 'upset' because it wasn't being fed swum under the jetty and grabbed both the bait and my friend's fingers. That really gave him a shock!
    Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Zitat

Original von PanamaJack
    Hi Uwe
    Looking at that footage off Florida - where the fish takes the bait out of the lady's hand - I suspect it's taken from Robbies boatyard, just south of Islamorada, Gulf-side. The Tarpon and Jacks are very used to being fed there and you buy a bucket of bait for 2$US.

I can remember on one occasion a friend of mine was holding sardines by the tail and literally dropping them into the mouths of 100lb plus Tarpon. Unfortunately it also attracts vast numbers of Pelicans and one, obviously 'upset' because it wasn't being fed swum under the jetty and grabbed both the bait and my friend's fingers. That really gave him a shock!
    Dave

:D Dear Dave,

I think, when a pelikan takes my finger, I will get more than a shock. I can remember, when I was a little boy a goose took a bit of my a...

I can tell you "Big birds can be very shocky" :]

• Hi Uwe
    I have to say after my friend got bitten I 'hatched' (apologies to your goose) a Dastardly plot. Robby had a 6 metre Bamboo pole on the jetty, with a short length of rope attached to a buoy tied to its end. It was there to scare the Pelicans away.

But they knew to the millimetre just how far it extended and would swim just outside it looking very upset. So I waved the pole around, just above the water's surface. Then, the next time, I didn't hold it fully extended. It was effectively only 5 metres long. So the Pelicans swum slightly closer. It was then just a case of extending the bamboo pole and trapping the Buoy across the back of its neck.

Let me assure you they are very buoyant and impossible to push under the water! Any rate they were much more wary of us after that.

That aside if you're ever in Florida it's well worth visiting Robbies. And the inshore fishing for Tarpon, Permit and really big Bonefish is tremendous from Islamorada. Offshore there're all the 'conventional' species. There's a note in one of my postings in the USA Forum. Interestingly though they're now catching reasonable numbers of Swordfish out on the Bahamas Bank.
    Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com