Yawn! catch and release with puncture wound.

• There will be a lot of friction between fishermen over whether to keep or release what they catch. It is good to study tagged fishes migration patterns as long as it is not used to guide a fleet of longline vessels. When it comes to fisheries science , I can not be anything but skeptical and distrustful.

Let God be true ; and every fisherman a liar.

• The purpose behind tag and release is to allow the fish to live and reproduce . I subscribe to Marlin Magazine which is well written and the quality of the photography is second to none . One only needs to glean an issue of Marlin Mag. and you will find a number of large billfish hanging by the tail with the weight on its body. The pursuit of IGFA records and big money contribute greatly to this practice .Bear in mind that the female is much larger than the male in billfish .

I do not believe that sportfishing is not having an effect on fish stocks because there is a fairly high mortality rate in released fish. Catching these fish requires skill from the captain and crew , and strength and stamina from the fisherman . I feel it should be important to fishermen to consider how damaging a long drawn out fight is to the fish. A charter fishing captain who likes to fish for Blue Marlin around Woods Wall off the Florida Keys suggests the fight should not last much over an hour for the fish`s sake , and to prevent the angler from suffering the consequences of over exertion . I feel it is really important to have a savvy captain who knows how to chase the fish and have his boat close by at the end of the fish`s first long run . This is a critical time because large billfish can often be brought close to the boat at this time for a clean release . On the other hand , I am not sure it does much good to fight a fish until it becomes dark from exhaustion and must be dragged behind the boat before it revives enough to swim on its own. That is the middle ground where good judgement should be exercised . Better to feed the poor than fill a shark`s belly.

The practice of commercial longline fishing is the most destructive activity on fish populations of the world`s oceans . Currently many countries are petitioning the UN to ban longline fishing on the oceans.Let us all agree that this destruction should not be allowed to continue.

Let God be true ; and every fisherman a liar.

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Robalo ()

• Zitat

Original von Robalo

The practice of commercial longline fishing is the most destructive activity on fish populations of the world`s oceans . Currently many countries are petitioning the UN to ban longline fishing on the oceans.Let us all agree that this destruction should not be allowed to continue.

These words are very important. Off course, the big game fishing has certainly an negative effect on the fish stocks. But we can fight for banning the longlines and so we can do our (small) part for saving the fish stocks. We must do this, because we all want, that our kids can practise big game fishing too.

• Now this is the proverbial 'Can of Worms'!

Within our Club - the Sportfishing Club of the British Isles - there is a strong release ethic amongst the membership. And, last year, all Marlin caught - with the exception of two that were tail-wrapped and came up dead - were released. However it - Catch and Release - is not a practice that we would ever impose, believing it is down to the angler's own conscience and individual circumstances.

I remember one particular trip, to Ascension Island, when a friend hook a big Blue that the skipper was calling at 'over 900' and the crewman believed was a 'grander'. The crewman wanted to gaff it, but my friend wanted to release it, which we did. That was an impressive fish and we still have memories of those magnificent jumps - almost 'Black-like' with it turning on its side as it re-entered the ocean. Tremendous splashes!

Now from memory that was only my friend's 5th or 6th Blue and probably the biggest fish he'll ever catch. So I applaud him.

Then two days later an American angler fishing on God's Will / God's Favor - the re-named Madam and the Hooker operation - who had caught and released well over a 100 Blue Marlin took one in. It was only the second he'd ever killed and it weighed 1145lbs. Should he have released it? Well, in my view, down to him.

From a scientific perspective - yes, obviously all BIG fish are females. But this one was probably over 20 years old and approaching the end of its life. And the skipper extracted the ovaries for scientific research and found that they had tumors on them. They were cancerous and the fish was therefore incapable of breeding further.

So just some initial thoughts, more to follow.
    Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Dieses Thema enthält 2 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com