Lou Marron's 1182lb Broadbill Swordfish - a description of its capture

• I'm currently researching an article for our Club's Year Book about Broadbill Swordfish, a little about the history of sportfishing for them and how techniques have changed. Anyway as part of that research I found this 'ancient' article from Sports Illustrated - an American publication - http://sportsillustrated.cnn.c…zine/MAG1002603/index.htm - on the 'Net written just five years after the capture of Lou Marron's fish in 1953. That has to be one of the longest standing IGFA All Tackle records.

It also takes the history back to William Boschen's capture of that first ever Broadbill on sport fishing tackle in 1913 off Santa Catalina Island, California.

Well worth reading if you have any interest in the development of our sport and how techniques have changed. Back then virtually all were targeted by sighting finning fish on the surface and to quote from that article, an observation by Kip Farrington:

Zitat

"Ten to one the day is not right for the fish to surface; ten to one that if the day is right you won't see the fish; fifteen to one that if you see him he will not strike and may even sound before you can present a bait; three to one that if he does strike he will not pick up the bait; five to one that if he picks it up you won't hook him; and eight to one you will lose if you do hook him."

Zitat

Mr. Farrington's distressing odds are a good rule of thumb, but they are, after all, nothing more than a mathematical estimation of the probable. They cannot take into account luck and, as every angler knows, luck can make a shambles of the longest odds.

It just show how techniques and the odds on catching a Swordfish have changed over the years.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• a very interesting thread! Thanks Dave.

First I was surprised that the sports illustrated magazine wrote about Big Game Fishing. Nice :) This is very interesting for me, because the german media landscape also picked out some reports about Big Game Fishing. For example, the big magazine "Spiegel" published thes video about a grander fight in Australia.

Then, it´s exciting to read about the fishing of that days. Well....I think I have a good literature for this evening :thumbsup:

Best wishes,
    Uwe

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com