SEA OF CORTEZ, EAST CAPE - FISHED OUT?

• East Cape, fished out?

For the last couple of weeks fishing has been the slowest all season. It seems whenever fishing slows down folks are always asking "has this place been fished out?"

I have spent more than a 100 days a year on East Cape waters for the last 21 years. I have no scientific data or access to any studies that have been made regarding this. What I do have is a memory like an elephant and can recall what I have personally observed.

My first visit to Los Cabos was in May of 1973 when my wife and I stayed at the Palmilla. My main objective was to catch my first marlin. At that time a single engine cruiser went for $100 a day. It seemed like a fortune but I ponied up for a days fishing with high expectations. At 2PM we had not had a strike and the skipper informed us it was time to head in. As he turned the boat that direction a marlin appeared in our lure pattern and I landed my first ever marlin.
    Later in the 70's we returned to the Palmilla. I eeked out another marlin but never saw that wide open fishing others talk about.

My first visit to the East Cape was in 1986 and there after returned once or twice a year. During my visits I was always able to land a marlin and on some trips a dorado or tuna or two but never found that red hot bite.

In May of 1991 we moved to Buena Vista full time. Some times we would catch big fish and sometimes we would pay our dues. It wasn't until July of 91 we had a 5 billfish day. 2 strippers, 2 blues and a sailfish. We had 9 strikes that day and finally experienced that "WFO fishing".

Back then the fishing boats were very primitive. There were no GPS's and only the better equipped boats had VHF radios. Others used CB radios that would not reach out very far or had no radio at all. In those days there was only one telephone on the East Cape. Communication to the US was very limited and it was almost impossible to get timely fish reports. When reports did filter to an American fisherman the talk was always about the good days. That is what everybody wanted to hear about.

So back to the burning question. Has the place been fished out? No, it has not. We still have good days and slow days. It has been that way for the last 30 years. That's fishing! I am observing more vigilance than in the past. Catch and release is promoted more than ever before. The Sea of Cortez is one of the richest and also most resilient bodies of water on this planet. This slow period will end as fast as it came. Soon the fish will show in numbers one more time and it will be game on. In the mean time the real fisherman will keep trying and enjoy their experience on the water.

Posted are a few random images captured this season I have not had an opportunity to share.

Mark Rayor
    http://www.teamjenwren
    markrayor.blogspot.com

• Dear Mark, what a fantastic series of images!!
    Delightful observations, you are making there.
    Fisheries are bouncing back in some regions of our
    blue planet. Indeed, Sea of Cortez, Panama, Kenia,
    Tanzania and Mocambique and even the BlueFinTuna
    in the Adriatic.

In my neck of the woods we are going South instead.
    Since the 2008 appearance of the Japanese and Chinese
    longliners we experienced drastic reductions in our
    T&R Blue Marlin and Sails, Mako, YFT and even Dorados
    (MahiMahi).

Let's see what we can do in terms of awareness of the
    Angolan lawmakers. Instead of going after the longliners
    far out beyond the shelf, they intend to reglement us
    sport fishermen with a silly 20kgs per head/day rule
    which they can enforce when the sportsanglers return
    to the marina...
    :schimpf:

PARGO

================================
    si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Dear Mark,
    thank you for the report. Staying at the famous Rancho Buena Vista Hotel, during the nineties I fished several times in the East Cape region. In 1995 I caught there my first Blue, followed by many Blues, Stripers and Sails.I will always remember this good old days. It was sad to hear in early 2011 that the Rancho has been closed. My last information was that Tony had reopened the Cabana Bar. I wish him all the best. Do you have any information about Tony and the future of RBV?
    Best wishes
    Gernot

• [quote='Marlin95',index.php?page=Thread&postID=29559#post29559]Dear Mark,
    thank you for the report. Staying at the famous Rancho Buena Vista Hotel, during the nineties I fished several times in the East Cape region. In 1995 I c

It is true that the bar is open in the afternoons. Tony has taken on the venture and is getting good support from the local community.

It is hard to say what lies ahead for the resort. The place is for sale and as the palapa turns rumors have it that there are 3 different interested parties looking right now.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com