Latest Catch Report From Namibia

• Hi All,

Here is my first fishing report from Namibia but first a weather report as something unusual happened!! We had a bit of rain on Sunday night. It must have been less than 1mm and about all we expect until at least February! The winter is almost over here now and I have attached a picture of the latest wreck to adorn the beaches of the Skeleton Coast - The Zeila, a old trawler being towed to India for scrap, broke a tow rope in rough seas and drifted aground just 20kms south of Henties Bay adding to the other wreaks.

As to the fishing, the shark (bronze whalers) fishing has been outstanding this winter. Usually, as the water temperature drops below 16degrees the bronzies become hard to catch but the water this year has stayed close (14degrees) and the sharks have stayed around in abundance.

The edible fishing has also been good with many days showing excellent results when the sea has been settled enough. Catches of plenty of small kabeljou (up to quota amounts) have been common and there are plenty of undersized fish being caught which bodes well for the future. Larger kabeljou (to 18kg) have shown well in the last few weeks.

A few good steenbras have also shown. Spotted gulley sharks and smoothounds have also shown in good numbers.

Kind regards and best fishes,

Simon

• Hi Uwe,

It is the Skeleton Coast that we fish all be it we are only allowed to fish a small part. It is split into the Skeleton Coast National Park and the West Coast Recreation Area. We are only allowed to fish the Recreation Area, and two small places within the National Park The Recreational Area is 300kms long stretching from just north of Sandwich Harbour (South of Walvis Bay) to the Ugab River (126kms north of Henties Bay).

The name "Skeleton Coast" comes from the sun bleached seal and whale bones that adorn the beaches as well as the numerous wrecks along the coast. Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skeleton_Coast for more information.

There has been talk of salvaging the wreck as it lies only 200 meters from the shore but another trawler wreck, The Kolmanskop which ran aground 2 years ago has been left in place as a tourist attraction. Hopefully they will leave The Zeila where she is too as it is already bringing tourists to the area!

Kind regards and best fishes,

Simon

• Ahoi, Simon,

I share your view on the strange weather patterns these days.

In the http://www.buoyweather.com I subscribe to, I see a slab of
    20 Celsius water pushing South past Namibe Port.

Off Luanda we see 22 and even patches of warmcore eddies
    around 25. Marlin high season! :D

Last year Xico and I opened Marlin season towards the end
    of November! 8|

Today its drizzeling in Luanda. Good for the farmers. Three
    days previous strong winds from clear West had brought
    promising clouds, but choppy waters.

Anyways, welcome again.

Looking forward to your weeklys, should your time permit.

Cordially,

PARGO

================================
    si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

• Hi Simon,
    many thanks for the explanations. I love to learn. Some years ago, my wife and I planned to make our marriage-holidays in Namibia. But we couldn´t get a good offer for a nice tour. Now, it seems that namibia got a little bit more famous for tourists. I some german catalouges Namibia is one of the most frequented in Africa. I looked to some fantastic pictures from the nice country. Marvellous!
    Many thanks for your reports and your informations,
    Uwe

• Dieses Thema enthält einen weiteren Beitrag, der nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar ist, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diesen lesen zu können.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com