Jim C. Chapralis

• I must sadly share with all of you that my good friend and mentor, Jim C. Chapralis, passed away this past Saturday night after a long bout with cancer. As of today, no information is available regarding funeral arrangements...I will pass information. Sally Chapralis has asked that people not send flowers but instead, if they prefer, make a donation to the American Cancer Society or their favorite charity.
    If you want to send a card of condolence, her mailing address is:

3518 Davis
    Skokie, IL 60203

Jim and I went back dozens of years together (1968) fishing together many times and eventually I became a VP in his company. Jim was the first person to start an international fishing division in a specialized travel agency. Roman Hupalowski at Safari Outfitters took a chance of this fledgling angler and writer, who wanted to change the face of fishing. During his time there, he became the IGFA rep for Illinois. For 10 years he placed anglers into Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia. After Safari Outfitters, he started PanAngling and devoted most of his time to being the editor and publisher of the “PanAngler” (the first newsletter on intl fishing) he wrote several books about it and long distance casting. His first was “PanAngling’s World Guide to Fly Fishing” (1988) which I helped edit, then came “Fishing Escapes” (1998); “Fishing Passion: A Lifelong Love Affair with Angling” (2002), “Master Your Fly Casting And Have Fun Doing It” (2006). His latest book was just released “Le Shack – A Very Special Place”. This is a wonderful book of short stories, some of in which I participated.

He will be missed, but his wit, generousity and humor will never be forgotten.

Al Schaefer

• Tragic news Al. But thanks for updating us.

As well as the sad loss to family and friends I feel sure that Jim will be remembered with affection by all those he helped with unbiased advice over the years, and also the angling community at large.

Kindest regards

Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Adding to Al's kind comments I've just noticed this tribute to Jim Chapralis on a recent communication from the IGFA that may be of interest.

Dave

In November the IGFA lost James C. Chapralis, who for over 25 years was a valued IGFA Representative for Illinois. He passed away Nov. 10th after a long battle with cancer.

In the early 1960s, Jim started PanAngling Travel Service, one of the first travel agencies for globe-trotting fishermen, a profession that allowed him to indulge his own fishing fantasies across the globe.

For 25 years Jim edited and published The PanAngler, a monthly newsletter devoted to international fishing. Through the years, he booked more than 40,000 trips for a global clientele to fishing camps and lodges in locales both rugged and exotic, most of which he visited himself fishing in about 40 countries. In 1998 he sold PanAngling Ltd.

A prolific writer Jim penned dozens of articles for major fishing and outdoor magazines and wrote "World Guide to Fly Fishing" (a 450-page hardcover book) in 1987, and co-authored, "Fishing Escapes" in 1998. His books include "Fishing Passion: A Lifelong Love Affair With Angling," and "Master Your Fly Casting!"

In "Fishing Passion," he recounted fishing adventures with legends of the sport such as Lee Wulff and A.J. McClane. He also started the website http://www.anglingmatters.com for anglers to learn how to protect their waters and their sport.

An accomplished fly-caster for both distance and accuracy, Jim won medals for his prowess in the 1950s as a member of the Lincoln Park Casting Club. He returned to the sport as a senior citizen, winning age-group championships.

At age 23, Jim won the International Distance Fly Casting Championship (Paris, France, 1955) and the All-Round Casting Championship (Stuttgart, Germany, 1956). Although he had not participated in a national tournament for 45 years, Jim competed in the ACA National Casting Championships held in Lexington, Kentucky, August 2001, and won the Gold Medal (first place) for the Senior Distance Single-Handed Fly Casting Championship with a long cast of 163 feet and another Gold Medal in the same event in 2006 with a distance of 172 ft..

Jim was elected to the original Fishing Hall of Fame and is a recipient of the Dolphin Award for his contributions to international fishing. In 2007 he was inducted into the National Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame for his contributions to international angling travel; and especially for fly fishing. Jim’s numerous contributions to the IGFA will be missed.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com