A lot of good information/ 47 pages

• Welcome to the site and Thank you very much for posting that Don. It certainly is an incredible portal site correctly described as (with apologies to a certain gentleman) The Mother of All Maritime Links - masses and masses of information.

One that particularly took my interest was the one on Seaplanes. I recall when I first went to the Azores finding, in a small photographic shop in Horta, some postcard sized prints of pre and immediately post war (WW2) seaplanes. From memory Horta, on Faial, was the refuelling stage between Europe and the 'States. I must find the prints and scan them in - the pre-war one was of a huge multi engine Junker (I think) the post-war ones were, I believe, badged TWA.

In addition, and going back to probably the turn of the century, were a fleet of 'square riggers' - part of the prolific Sperm Whale fishery.
    Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Hey Dave that would be good. My grandparents are from the azores. That makes me Portuguese :) :). I am not sure how much fishing info you have on Bluefin Tuna but I have some on studies done over here about tagging and how the two stocks mix. (East and West) I fish Giants almost exclusively. if you think it would help anyone understand the fishries more let me know and i will post it . thanks and have a good day.

Don

• Hi Don
    I guess where the Azores sits midway between Boston and Lisbon there would have been numbers of islanders that migrated to the 'States. But doesn't the history, forgetting Columbus, go back even further. I recall in Herman Merville's classic Moby Dick that the bravest harpoonists (of Sperm Whales) came from the island of Pico.

Any rate here're some of the images of Faial (Fayal) - in 'black and white' I'm afraid. There're two of flying boats - and perhaps one of the German forum members may be able to identify the Dornier from its makings - one of the whaling fleet in the harbour at Horta and one of a volcanic eruption at the other end of the island. The lighthouse, now derilict, is dwafted by the ash clouds.

Then I'm sure Don everyone would be fascinated by the Bluefin research you referred to . I'd often suspect that there was interchange between the two stocks - your and our side of the 'Pond' - but couldn't find any material to substantiate it. They're incredible creatures! I've only ever seen them - never caught one - off the islands in the North East Atlantic - the Azores, Madeira and the Canaries, and, circumstantially, off Ascension Island, much further south. That was an Azorean crewman who saw the fish. All we saw were the huge gouts of water and lines being 'popped' from the stinger lines BUT no hookups.

So where do you fish for them? Off the North East, the Bahamas or the winter fishery in the Carolinas? Odd BIG fish of course also show up in the Gulf of Mexico.
    Best wishes
    Dave

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Hi Dave Thanks for the great pics. a couple in my time but i'm not sure about the one with the whalers. :D Maybe in my previous life. I catch most of my fish in the Gulf Of Maine. B.T.W. my flag on the user map is off quite a bit. I am about 72.46----46.66 Up here our season opens June 1st. untill Quota is caught or untill mid October. Then down to N.C. This year they dropped our quota in the General catagory to 560 Metric Tons! and 46.4 M.T. in the Harpoon catagory. LOL. on Moby Dick, Would that be QuiQuig ?

Ok for that link to more Giant Tuna info. http://www.tunalab.unh.edu/bluefinResearch.htm

Fascinating Stuff. Reasearch with the co operation of Reconational fishermen, Commercial fishermen, Scientist, Pilots, University Students and more. All for the good of the resorce. :) :)

Hope this info. helps.

Don

• Dieses Thema enthält 25 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com