SEA OF CORTEZ, EAST CAPE - THE UGLY TRUTH

• THE UGLY TRUTH
    Early in the week fishing was pretty incredible for tuna and marlin. Marlin fishing is still pretty much wide open. Most boats targeting marlin are returning having released one to six fish. The tuna have become a different story.. Huge fish can be seen crashing on bait at the 88 high spot but the fish are very line shy.

Anglers interested in landing a big tuna have 2 choices; Keep using the heavy gear that is appropriate for this grade of fish and hope for the bite or, drop line and hook size to enhance the chance of getting the bite and then hope the equipment is enough to endure the battle. Lately I have heard too many stories of anglers spending too many hours working on a fish only to be disappointed in the end.

Personally, I'm not going to a gun fight with a knife. Two years ago we were in a school of 50 pound tuna when a 200 pound fish ate our bait. Being under gunned with 50 pound test line it took us 8 hours and we were very lucky to get the fish. I swore I would never do that again.

It is easy for me to sit in the bridge and tell anglers to put more pressure on the fish. "Remember, when you rest the fish rests." " The longer the fish is on the line the better the odds you will never get em." I think to myself sometimes, let me come down there and pull on the rod, I'll show you how. It is also easy for anglers to sit at home and read the fish reports with anticipation. Just wait till I get down there! I'm going to kick some fish bootie!

The truth of the matter is a 200 pound tuna is a handful. Below are some photos sharing my experience with a big fish last Tuesday

Look at the smirk on my face. Diego asked me if I wanted a harness. No, this won't take long was my reply.

(A few minutes later) This fish is tougher than I thought. It's pulling back.

(A little more time) Yeah know, maybe that harness isn't a bad idea.

Yeah, yeah, I know, when I rest.....

Thank god!

It might not have been purdy but it is mine!

It would have been a heart break to hang this fish on the wrong gear.

Tomorrow morning we head out for a 5 day charter. Plan on doing some fishing, diving and snorkeling. The idea is to head north and visit the islands above La Paz. On the last trip we made it as far as Loreto. I will post about our trip next week.

Mark Rayor
    http://www.thejenwren.com
    http://www.vistaseasport.com
    markrayor.blogspot.com

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com