deep sea fishing peru

• hi,
    great site, thanks for it.

does anybody have experiences with deep-sea fishing in peru?
    cabo blanco is a nice spot, called the marlin boulevard in early days. famous people like ernest hemmingways and other rich us people were there to catch 1000+ lb marlins. one catch was arround 1500, one of the biggest marling catched by rod.

i was there this year too but i just made a small fishing trip with lumber and line. i catched a big moray and some small fishs. after my peru trip i read that this service http://www.vivamancora.com/cristina/index2.html offer deep sea fishing. but it was too late for me.

so anybody knows this service or any other provider for deep sea fishing in peru?
    looking forward to your infos.

thanks
    nils

• Hi Nils
    And welcome to the forum.

Cabo Blanco, very much a place of BIG fish and legends. And I guess over the years I've been fortunate to meet some of those who fished there, back in the 1950s. There was Alfred Glassell, whilst I was in Hawaii, and Don Merten Snr, a great friend of Hemmingways who even, persuaded by 'Papa', gave up his charter one year so that Hemminway could catch a Marlin the footage of which they could use in the original (Spencer Tracy) film - the Old Man and the Sea. Um ... the fact that the film was meant to take place in Cuba and the giant fish was meant to be an Atlantic Blue Marlin mattered little. Anyway Hemmingway went down there for a two week charter and caught .... NADA. (They actually used footage of Glassell's 1560 pounder in the film. If you look closely you can see the linen line they were using.) And the last, indirect contact was a businessman I inadverently met in a Chinese restaurant in the UK. His Dad was Lou Marron's skipper - the man who caught the huge 1182lb Broadbill in Chile back in 1953. Lou and his skipper regularly fished the fabled Club at Cabo Blanco.

Still, enough of history. The heyday of the Club was shortlived, the '50s through to the early 1960s then the fish, and the anglers, disappeared. In part I suspect it was the movement of currents - the warm, northerly Equatorial Current and the 'opposing' cold Humboldt Current used to 'clash' just of Cabo Blanco - linked to the El Nino and La Nina phenomena. But there was also the over-exploitation and collapse of the Anchovy fishery. In 1952 in Peruvian waters the catch was a mere 12,000 metric tonnes but by 1962 it had expanded to some 10 MILLION tonnes. (That does seem to be an incredible figure but I'm quoting from a book, In Pursuit of Big Fish, written by Michael Mason who fished there. His source, he claims, was the Peruvian Embassy in London.)

Back to your question though:

Zitat

so anybody knows this service or any other provider for deep sea fishing in peru?

I can't think of anyone who's fished in that part of Peru, nor can recall of any recent articles in the angling press. In the meantime have you read this article, a type of travelog written some 10 years ago by I suspect a non-angler, - http://articles.baltimoresun.c…1_maximo-cabo-blanco-nino. The Cristina was around then. Perhaps it is worth posting your enquiry to one of the 'Stateside forums?
    Kindest regards

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Of course, as soon as I said that Nils, I found this three page article - http://www.marlinmag.com/trave…-the-game-1000062075.html - by Dave Ferrell, the Editor of Marlin Magazine, on the Web! Um ... despite the politicians assurances it seems they are STILL taking unsustainable quantities of Anchovies from the ocean. But they are also still catching both Striped and Black Marlin.

Another source of information would be the IGFA in Florida. They would be able to provide you with contact details for their local Peruvian representative. If you're a (IGFA) member they should also be able to provide you with the annual reports that their representative should provide them with.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com