IGFA World Record claims - clarification relative to line strengths plus a modification to their claim procedures

• I recently read some definitive explanations in the Aussie magazine, Bluewater Boats and Sportfishing, penned by Jason Schratwieser, the IGFA's Conservation Director who also, I understand, administers World Record claims.

So, his salient points:

• The line breaks lower than the maufacturer's stated breaking strain. No, the catch will not be considered in any lower line class category just the category represented by the manufacturer's stated BS.

• The line over-tests the manufacturer's stated BS. Then it will be considered in the (greater) line-class category representative of its tested BS.

• Now the tricky one. If a fish fails to break the record for the line class within which it falls BUT the record for a greater line class is smaller you can't submit a claim within that higher category.

But, and here I quote verbatim, there has been a recent amendment to IGFA record application requirements.

Due to the increased prevalence of super-strength monofilament and multifilament lines, IGFA is now requiring that all non-fly rod record applications must include 50 feet of line still attached to the double line and leader if one is used. This includes All-Tackle and Junior record applications as well.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Now the tricky one. If a fish fails to break the record for the line class within which it falls BUT the record for a greater line class is smaller you can't submit a claim within that higher category.

If you think the line will break high, then you should have applied for the higher line class record. Pretty much all the superlines break high. Momoi 20 breaks at 37, nearly double. If I wanted to insure my line was the proper test, I would use IGFA rated Ande!

Al Schaefer

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com