Bluefin Tuna jigging - 2/20/2010

• Here is Kil Song's report of our trip yesterday. I'll post my report below it as we had 2 boats and I was on the other boat.

12 hardcore fishermen from RI, NY, NJ and PA came down to the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center on Saturday(02-20) driving 9 - 12 hours all night.
    We had the same goal in mind: catching bluefin on jigs and poppers.
    Due to low tide condition, we had to wait until 6:00 am. Good news was bluefin were located bluefin in between Oregon Inlet. NC and Hatteras, NC on Friday.

When we got to the fishing ground, which is about 40 miles Southeast of Oregon Inlet, we saw about 20 boats trolling and a few boats were fighting. Capt Greg said he marked tuna heavily and asked us to drop jigs. But no taker. @( We tried here and there in the morning, but we couldn't get any hit on jigs. I started to concern we might get skunked because they usualy bites early in the moring and shut off bites until late in the afternoon. All fleet were quiet after flurry of bites early in the morning.

When tide slowed down considerably early in the afternoon, I had a nice hit on my 320g Labo jig while jigging with Japanese style jerk/crank technique. I knew it was a nice bluefin finally as it felt heavy. However I lost the tuna because brand new Varivas Avani PE8, which has 112 lbs breaking point, got broken. 8* The line must be damaged or I might pushed the drag lever to the full by accident.
    Within 5 minutes after I lost it, Machael who fished next to me, has a solid hit after he missed one. Judging by taking lines off his JM PE8 reel on 25 lbs drag, I knew this was the right size tuna we were waiting for. After fighting 30 minutes, Machael couldn't take the punishment anymore and gave the rod to me. But whenever I a rod, my misfortune continued. Within 30 yards from the boat, the 100 lbs leader line got broken without any apparent reason when the big tuna charged.
    Soon after, John had a nice bluefin on his spinner, but he lost as his knot failed.
    We were 0 for three. :x

Michael fighting a nice tuna.
    He used Sevenseas TunaMania/JM PE8 and 180g Labo jig.

my unorthodox fighting style.

Soon after, it seemed tuna hit anything moving for a while. However the sizes of tuna were considerablly smaller in 50 - 70 lbs range.

Yong, William and myself fighting tuna. I specifically asked Capt to allow us fishing even one fishermen fighting tuna. Untangling lines when crossed is not difficult and it happens so many times that bites are done after one fights a tuna for a long time.

Yong fighting tuna with a spinning reel.

William's fighting

Christian's fighting. I am glad he had an opportunity to wretsle with a tuna as he had hard time to fight with seasick in the morning. :)

John lost a nice tuna and he is fighting a second one with a spinner.

Oregon Inlet Marina

Tackles
    This is the first time in my 30 years charter arrangement that we had more spinning gears than conventional gears. Time is changing. :)
    StellaSW dominated. It shows how popular StellaSW in the US. There were only two brand conventional reels on the boat. Ocean Mark's Blue Heaven and JM PE reels.

Black Hole 450g Conventional rod, SevenSeas TunaMania rod, 350g Black Hole spinning rod, Hots One Pitch Slider 56XH, OR 10 Thousand rods were used.

As I expected Labo 180g - 320g, Sevenseas 220g Hooker jigs/250g Revolver jigs were hot jigs.

Nice time at Red Drum restaurant nearby after fishing.

• Hi Bret
    I'd assumed that it was always mid-range sized Bluefin that were encountered off the Carolina wrecks during the winter months, so it was interesting to see that smaller fish are also now showing up. And surprise, surprise the sea conditions look extremely pleasant for that time of year.

By the way I'm planning to be in the 'Keys during mid-May. Together with a couple of friends we've two weekends booked up with Dave Irving and the guides he uses - it's going to be a mix of Tarpon, no surprises there, and some Gulf-side wreck fishing for amongst other species the Goliaths. During the in-between week we're planning to fish some days out of Key West with hopefully some time out around the Shrimp trawlers, fly and light tackle fishing for the Blackfin and Little Tunny - your, now you're a North-Easterner, False Albacore.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Ah that should be fun! I just emailed Dave last night actually with a quick question regarding a reel. You sure you guys won't fish for sharks as well? I know I saw a few pictures of Dave shark fishing down there last year :)

Yeah this is a mixed body of fish. There were a couple fish around 200lbs taken yesterday. A guy on my boat had a larger fish on but ended up losing it when his rod broke and then the line broke shortly thereafter! Its nice to see the mixed body of fish. I think that's what we'll have in Cape Cod this year. Some 40-50inch fish mixed in with the 65-75 inch big boys! Should be a fun year.

I had a few hits on a FC Labo jig and one on a Sevenseas Hooker - but they were really small bumps, not big slams. Still annoyed they didn't come tight but ah well, thats fishing :)

• .... encountered off the Carolina wrecks during .......

@Dave: Maybe it is a stupid question, but what do you mean with "Carolina wrecks"? Are there a lot of wrecks in that area, and why?

@Bret: Thanks for the report. I think you guys had a good day on the sea. Kil Song is a very experienced fisherman and I´m really surprised about your many contacts to people that I also know :D (of course only from forums).

Best wishes to the USA,

Uwe

• Hey Uwe hows it going?

If you want some great jigging and popping here - the bluefin season is really starting in June in Cape Cod and then off of jersey in July. The tuna stay in cape cod until early december with one slow month being mid-august - mid-september. Then you can drive down to NC for amberjack jigging. nonstop action.

it was a looong drive. 8.5 hours or so. we went nonstop. I left work - drove with 3 other guys, fished and then we drove right back. I was REALLY tired yesterday, but it was worth it :)

• Dieses Thema enthält 7 weitere Beiträge, die nur für registrierte Benutzer sichtbar sind, bitte registrieren Sie sich oder melden Sie sich an um diese lesen zu können.

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com