New World record Yellow Mouth Barracuda (Sphyraena viridensis)

• Dear Angler,

in our German Section, one of our members told us about a new IGFA World Record Yellowmouth Barracuda. The was caught by his woman and has 10,2 kg. By the way, the old record was 8,7 kg. The fish was caught at the Azores Islands and I want to congratulate the lady!
    Well done! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is the picture of this wonderful fish!

:sehrgut:

• Intriguing to see Uwe. I have to 'hold my hand up' and say I couldn't identify what was patently a Yellowmouth Barracuda from the more common (?) European Barracuda (Sphyraena sphyraena) - their ranges are apparently identical and visually they look the same. But that Yellowmouth is somewhat bigger than any 'European' I've previously seen or caught.

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

• Hello Dave,
    this one, caught in Azorean Waters is what the Portugese here call a „Bicuda“. It is a very common species there. The local experts too, didn't have any doubt about it's „idendity“. The pictures may help you to see more.
    Thight Lines
    Peter

• Hi Peter
    Thank you for posting those images. Looking at them it does clearly illustrate that the tip of the lower jaw is quite different in the Yellowmouth Barracuda.

Going back to August 1999 I was fishing on a 44’ Striker – Cepheus – over a shallow reef in the channel between Faial and Horta targeting the Ladies 6lb (3kg) IGFA line class record for Bluefish. The lady angler was Jennifer Prowse. Any rate not only did we catch a 17lb Bluefish that broke that record but we also caught an 8lb European Barracuda – Sphyraena sphyraena – that exceeded the IGFA’s All Tackle record for that species. So for many years it featured in the IGFA’s Year Book but, intriguing – with no explanation – it was removed.

(It's bye the bye but three days later I caught a 20lb Bluefish on 6lb class tackle which, if we'd been able to weigh it that evening would have broken the Men's record. Unfortunately we couldn't access the sensitive scales until the next morning by with time it had lost weight - 19lb 12oz. And, whilst it was comfortably bigger than the EFSA line class record, I was so disappointed that I couldn't be bothered to claim. Um ... that would if claimed still be the European record! I also that same evening caught an 8lb 8oz European Barracuda but given Jennifer had only just broken the IGFA (and EFSA) record with her fish elected not to claim.)

But as well as claiming it as an IGFA record Jennifer also submitted it – the European Barracuda - as a European (EFSA) line class record. And, although they didn’t hold a 6lb class record for that species, it went into the 8lb (4kg) class and is still, as of writing, the record - http://www.efsa.co.uk/record/barracuda.htm. Bizarrely though EFSA do not currently hold records for Yellowmouth Barracuda - http://www.efsa.co.uk/acceptable-species.htm. An omission on their part? Perhaps it would be worth the lady submitting her record certificate to EFSA and claiming the European record retrospectively – their claim procedures closely mirror those of IGFA?

Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles

Big-Game Partner

PE12

PecheXtreme

Getawaytours

Jigabite

Jupiter Sunrise Lodge

Big Game Fischen Kroatien

GT-Fishing.com