Deep jigging is a very radical way to catch fish

Deep jigging is a very radical way to catch fish

valuable know how for our jigging forum

Deep Jigging is a very radical way to catch fish

many thanks to Capt. Jeff Rogers (http://fishinkona.com) for this great tutorial! :thumbsup:

The development of braided lines have made it possible to use smaller, lighter reels that can now hold several hundred yards of high strength line. I was introduced to jigging in 1997 and commonly use this method to catch a variety of fish. Here in Kona the most common fish to hit the jigs on the ledges are almaco jacks and amberjacks. Tuna love the jigs too. Another thing with the jigs is that you can come up with some pretty strange catches. Snappers of all kinds but among the strangest things I've caught so far are a big octopus, a world & State record Randall`s snapper and a toothless shark. Deep jigging is a reel workout (pun intended) so it's not for the weak. The hook-up's are AWESOME! Here's some jig styles:

Connecting a trapper hook.

Trapper hook(s) are attached to the top of the jigs rather than the old style of putting a treble hook on the bottom of the jig. At first you might think that this wouldn't be as successful as a treble hook on the bottom but after years of using both, I can attest to the fact that the trapper hook definitely has the better hook up ratio. I always use just a single trapper hook. If you attach the hook directly to the jig eye, it will exert the fishes force on the split ring and that can open up on a big fish. Attaching the hook to the bottom of the swivel results in the attachment loop getting chaffed by the split ring edges. Attaching the loop to the swivel the way shown here, actually protects the loop from abrasion. I do it directly off the swivel sometimes too.
    The material that I use here to protect the line from chafing is cheep sunglass retainer rubbers. They come in all kinds of colors. I pull the Dacron line through the rubber with the same wire used to make my Dacron loop or a live bait needle.

Tie your own trapper hooks!

First you will need to prepare the line. I got this 130# Hi-Vis dacron from a guy who was stripping the backing off of his reel. Tackle shops often have spool remnants of this stuff for cheep. I Have also used hollow core braided line. The material that you use is up to you. Any woven material with a hollow core will work. Some people have more of a problem with toothy critters than I do here in Hawaii. My dacron does eventually get frayed so I keep a few extra looped lines around and just tie on a new one.

I start with about 20" of hollow core material. A thin piece of stiff wire is doubled and pushed through the hollow core and out the side at about the 1/2 way point. I used the white cap for contrast so you can see the loop of wire. Stick just the tail of the remaining hollow core in the wire loop and now you can pull the wire. The tail will slide through the hollow core and out the other end. Be careful not to pull it so far that you loose your end loop. When you're first learning to do this, it's a good idea to stick something in the loop so you don't loose it.

The first photo is how the hook looks after jigging (and catching) a little. The end of the dacron unravels (with a little help) and becomes a good teaser feather. The knot and wraps on the hook are first shown loosely tied so you can see how it is. When I tie it, I do four tight wraps. Pass the tag end through the end loop as shown. Pull both the tag end and the loop end to tighten. After tying a few you'll see how to make the looped end the right length to match your jig. You cshould always make the tag end long so it's easier to grab and pull everything tight, then cut off the excess tail.

Here's the easiest and best knot to join a shock leader to braided line.

I invented a knot to join monofilament and braided line back in 1999 that I called the Dog Knot and it was published in the March 2000 issue of Sport Fishing Magazine. Although their illustrator for the magazine drew my knot wrong, the description on how to tie it got some people through the process. But, Like most knots, the strength of the knot totally depends on how the wraps laid down. If it doesn't synch together right, the strength of the knot is lost. The Kona jig knot doesn't have that problem so I don't even tied my own knot any more. I have been tying this knot for many years now. You can depend on this knot holding! It's a real simple one and lays down easy. Take my word for it.

Informationen unser Partner
    You will need to tie a bimini twist in your braided line to double it. There is a quick and easy was to Tie the bimini twist too, even while in rough seas and I hope to add a video of tying it to this page when I get time and equipment to do it. The yellow rope represents the doubled braided line. The white rope represents the leader.

Hold the doubled line and leader with your left hand where the glove is (never mind it's a right handed glove). Make 4 wraps around both lines with the doubled braid and then pass the end of the leader through the end loop of the braided line.

Pull the braided line tight onto the leader. This is easily done with your rod in a boat rod holder and grabbing the leader in front and behind the knot and just pulling. Sometimes I pinch and roll the know between my fingers to help it lay down tighter.

Tie a 2 or 3 wrap Uni knot in the leader (depending on the thickness of your leader) and pull it fairly tight.

Pull both knots together. The trick is to hold the tag end of the leader and the double line tight together and paralell., then trim the tag of the leader of course. This makes the end of the leader point parallel to the doubled braid. This knot goes through the guides easy so it's a great knot for casting plugs too!