Speed Jigging - So hard you have to work

Speed Jigging - So hard you have to work

Hi guys,
    before I saw this Video I couldn´t imagine how hard you have to work when you fish "Speed Jigging".

Have fun with the video,
    Uwe

p.s The angler on the video is "Nicola" from Caranx.net.
    Informationen unser Partner

RE: Speed Jigging - So hard you have to work

milchner wrote:

Hi guys,
    before I saw this Video I couldn´t imagine how hard you have to work when you fish "Speed Jigging".

Have fun with the video,
    Uwe

p.s The angler on the video is "Nicola" from Caranx.net.

What you see of Nicola is high speed and aggressive, but for a good reason. This is only one style of Japanese jigging and there are others that are far less tiring but equally effective using different jig designs and targeting different fish. Nicola's technique is target Tunas who have the best eye sight of any fish in the sea. Tuna can spot a leader or hook and shy away. In heavily fished locations, Tuna also become well educated in what is real. With jigs worked at such high speed, the Tuna cannot see exactly what it is and it's reactionry instinct is to bite at it.

Most other jig gamefish will accept a slower technique and a popular one is a 1:1 jerk/crank style that we call "mechanical jigging". This can be performed at a slow almost yoyo pace or at a higher pace as popular with the Taiwanese jiggers who target Dogtooth Tuna. Fortunately in my home waters of New Zealand, a moderate speed is very acceptable to our monster Yellowtail Kingfish and deep sea Groupers.

With any sort of jigging it is important to match the rod's action to the weight and weight of the jig. A certain jig will have greater load in deeper water than shallow due to changing water pressure so this factor as well as jig weight is important if you want to develop your rhythm associated with mechanical jigging. Rod lenght, action, reel gear ratios, jig weight/load are all factors that need to be understood whan making tackle buying decisions for deep jigging.

Uwe, I can post you my latest DVD on jigging - "Heavy Metal at the Ranfurly" that was filmed last year in NZ. PM me an address and I'll send it straight away.
    Give it Death!

jigsdirect.com
    Hi Captain Chris,

thanks for your stimulating contribution.

"Its the future" we say in Angola, but the interesting sites in
    the Luanda (+- 50nm) range are all are 500ft/165m and deeper.
    Thats the few places were the monotonous shelf has some structure.
    The surface current runs oposite to the bottom current. Boats
    difficult to hold in place and the jig doesnt want to come anywhere
    near the structure... :cursing:

Your advice? :S ?(

My arsenal of jiggs only reaches to 220 gramms. :huh:

Thks in advance for your concern.

Jan "converted" MAN
    PARGO

================================
    si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

RE: BIG Chris

Pargo Man wrote:

Hi Captain Chris,

thanks for your stimulating contribution.

"Its the future" we say in Angola, but the interesting sites in
    the Luanda (+- 50nm) range are all are 500ft/165m and deeper.
    Thats the few places were the monotonous shelf has some structure.
    The surface current runs oposite to the bottom current. Boats
    difficult to hold in place and the jig doesnt want to come anywhere
    near the structure... :cursing:

Your advice? :S ?(

My arsenal of jiggs only reaches to 220 gramms. :huh:

Thks in advance for your concern.

Jan "converted" MAN

Hi Jan,

firstly you need to use a heavier jig, I suggest a 500g. A heavier tail weighted and streamlined jig will get down much quicker and won't be so easily swept away by the current. If that is not enough, then consider to reduce the diameter of the braid without going too light. Finer diameter braid also won't be swept away by the current. You can also put the boat into gear and reverse slowly in the same direction as the bottom current. I know this will cause water to slop into the stern at times so you need to be careful that you are not shipping too much sea water to cause concern.

BTW Jan, I am just an enthusiastic jigger, not a Captain ;(.
    Give it Death!

jigsdirect.com
    Informationen unser Partner

practical and real world

BIG Chris,

thanks again for you advice.

Backing into the current plus thinner braids (will try 40lbs Fireline) plus
    bigger Jiggs than the current 220grams will be tried and reported.

Tight Lines,

Jan "Angola" MAN
    PARGO

================================
    si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses