Ceramic Bearings for casting reels

Ceramic Bearings for casting reels

I know that many, probably the majority of anglers prefer using fixed spool (spin) reels for casting where the line comes off a stationary spool. But there is a following who enjoy casting lures from traditional multiplier reels - I have great fun with my Shimano Calcutta 400S. Once in a while though, because of that initial inertia of the spool loaded with line, you end up with what's graphically described as a birds nest.

Has any one on the forum had any experience of replacing their reel's original stainless steel bearings with either all ceramic or a mixture of ceramic and stainless steel?

By way of interest there's some YouTube footage here - youtube.com/watch?v=yQrrR6bzFBc - of the spool on a small freshwater Bass fishing reel spinning for 50 seconds. I suspect though it's not just the bearings but a combination of those and the lubricants used. Although it's only one of I suspect a number of manufacturers here's the link to that company's web site - bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=10. They seem to offer upgrades for a whole range of different reels.
    Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles
    sportfishingclub.co.uk
    Informationen unser Partner
    Dear Dave,
    i have two ABU Revo STX multi reels for baitcasting.
    In both reels I changed the 2 original shaft reels again dry APEC 7 ceramic bearings from VXB Ball bearings in USA.

stores.ebay.com/VXB-Bearings-Skateboard-and-Slotcar.

Both reels allow to cast a greater distance than before with the origin bearings.
    I found this very useful tip in the German fishing journal “Raubfisch”.
    I can recommend the changing center bearings.
    Have much fun.
    Martin
    Many Thanks for that advice Martin. I'll follow that through for my little Shimano.

I was interested to see your specific observations about the Abu Revos. It was a reel I have to admit not having heard of until, on Sunday, I won a Toro 61 in a raffle at our Club's AGM. Looked a great reel except on closer examination I realise the one I won is a LEFT hand model. Um ... perhaps it will go back in the next raffle!
    Dave
    Honorary Life President
    Sportfishing Club of the British Isles
    sportfishingclub.co.uk